Monday 26 June 2017

My 19 Day Iranian Azerbaijan circuit - From the Caspian rives to Tabriz and Takht-e Soleiman - Day 11 (morning cont.) - Maku outskirts - Unesco designated Monastery of Saint Thaddeus - The 19th of May 2017


(...)

As we got off the bus and came across the panoramic view of the Unesco designated Monastery of Saint Thadeus in the distance I must confess I was really impressed. Although little is said to remain of the Monastery's original structure apart from the altar apse from the 10h centuy the Armenian Monastery ensemble is considered one of Iranian architectural masterpieces. The earliest sections are of black stone, hence its Turkic name Qara Kilse, meaning black church.
 
 
I couldn't help focusing on details of its craftsmanship as Mr. RovillĆ© was providing us with thorough information on its historic background. I strolled around photographing the remarkable designs and beauty of the sculpted limestone relief works, which ornament vaults, arches, pillars columns and capitals. Their extreme delicacy and detail are notable and difficult to  describe. This is one of the cases in which I feel pictures speak louder than any possible word.
 






































































































































































Before leaving I couldn't help taking one last photograph to add to the many I had taken before and which I felt I would often look at in the future. I was definitely astounded by its craftsmanship. 
 
 
 



 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment