Monday 1 May 2017

Dubrovnik, Croatia - The 1506-22 Sponza Palace's inner courtyard - The 23rd of April 2017



I walked into the Sponza Palace's inner courtyard twice, once on my own and the second time with a Uruguaian colleague I accidently met in the Stradun before the conference we we were both attending and must say was impressed both times, firstly because of the fact that it is said to have survived the 1667 earquake  without any damages and secondly because of its decorative elements and a "food for thought" type inscription on one of its arches.


"Falere nostra vetant et falli pondera. Meque pondero cum merces ponderat ipse deus." standing for in a literal sort of translation - Our weights do not permit cheating. When I measure goods, God measures with me."


Home to the city archives nowadays it also holds permanent exhibits on its side rooms and around the courtyard premises, which I naturally had a look at.

































No comments:

Post a Comment