Thursday 10 December 2015

The Myanmar discovery circuit - Day 6 (noon) - Bagan, Northern Plain - the Htilominlo Temple - The 17th of November 2015


We then visited the last major Bamar-style temple built in Bagan, the Htilominlo  said to have been constructed in 1211 under the orders of King Nantaungmya, believed to be the son of  one of King Narapatisithu's concubines.


Despite not being very tall it is acknowledged as one of the most graceful temples in Bagan because of the finely executed stucco carving, which I couldn't get my eyes from. Lines of ogre-like Kirtimukhas decorate some of the exterior walls, their fang-filled mouths linked to chains of garlands, which I found to be exquisit and beautiful to look at.















I still managed to locate some of the very few old murals painted on its interior walls, as we moved from chamber to chamber. Some of the window decorations were rather interesting despite being partly damaged. I had a certain dificulty in photographing the four Buddhas each of which is said to be facing a different direction, having just been able to photograph two because of the lack of light inside the temple.















































We wandered about the handicraft stalls surrounding the temple where I bought a sand painting depicting monks collecting alms and two very colourful fridge magnets to give to my daughter and a friend of mine who collects them.  I had told myself I wouldn't buy any decorative artefacts, bearing in mind the number of those I have at home still in their original wrapping papers but I couldn't resist the argument put forward by  the artist who had done those, this being the only reason as to why I bought them.




















Photos of the fridge magnets taken with my mobile phone










No comments:

Post a Comment