Sunday 8 March 2015

The sweetness of Southern India circuit (Day 6 late morning cont.) - Sri Ranganathaswami Temple (cont.), Srirangam island - Tiruchirappalli - The 16th of February 2015



(...)

As we wandered around one of the courtyard's works in progress we sighted what Sagar had told us all along as being the most notable hall, a fine example of a planned theatre-like structure with exquisitely carved horses bearing riders on their backs.
 
 
























I couldn't but photograph a few due to the complicated number of iron bars around them, but wished I had had the courage to hold myself firmly on some of those so as to get more pictures of what was undeniably one of the nicest artistic ensemble we had seen so far during the circuit.
 
 
 










































As I was photographing some of the "visible" sculptures on a few columns standing close by I heard a tiny little effeminate voice asking me in English what my name was (I believe it was the only phrase the young man in a red and black stripped shirt could say, once any dialogue proved impossible afterwards). Until I realised the voice belonged to that little young man behind the column I wondered if the statues were actually talking to me.
 
He soon called out for two other friends hiding behind the columns to come closer so I could take their pictures as well.  Their apparent shyness was soon turned into expressions of joy and laughter as I showed them the pictures I had just taken, which is something I will remember for a long time.













































 

No comments:

Post a Comment