Wednesday 21 January 2015

Bristol (Day 2 - early afternoon) - Bristol Cathedral's interior - The 16th of January 2015


The Bristol Cathedral's interior was quite remarkable with its unique "lierne" vaulted choir and tower seen from the street's nave (1868-1877) with its clustered columns and Purbeck marble shafts.










I wandered about it in a rather "inquisitive" way trying to identify some of the references I had written down but in no time everything seemed to catch my attention, from the celings to the floors, and at one particular moment I felt rather "lost" having therefore opted to follow my own instintct. I took the right aisle having stopped at the choir  with its amazingly beautiful choir stalls, misericords and organ before having come across the High Altar.










































































The High Altar reredos and the 28 misericords said to date from 1515-1526 were astounding.

 



















Having noticed there was a Café on the right I continued walking ahead forgetting completely that the Chapter house and Garden were in that same direction. It wasn't but much later that I realised I had missed those, something I won't forgive myself for, particularly because I had a guiding sheet with me.




The next stop was at the Tombs of Medieval Abbots- The Berkeley memorials set into niches in the wall and each surrounded by a canopy of inverted cusped arches.




















I then headed towards the Berkeley Chapel (from1298) and ante-room now turned into a space of prayer.







 
 
 
 
 
Before walking into the Sea farer's Chapel (right) I came across some recesses containing the tombs of successive 14th century Lords Berkeley until I finally reached the Elder Lady Chapel dating back to 1220, which I didn't thoroughly photograph as there were some worshippers praying at its entrance. 






The Elder Lady Chapel




I felt rather calm as I walked out of the Cathedral, not that I wasn't when I walked in but there's something about religious spaces that always seems to appease my soul ...
 









 

No comments:

Post a Comment