Sunday 21 December 2014

The latest book I have read ...


Having always been fascinated with biographical books as I bought myself yet another one I hadn't the slightest idea (such is my reduced literary knowledge, I must confess) I would be getting into the deep inner feelings of an author whose works I had only got "acquainted with" in film adapted versions (A passage to India, Howards End and a Room with a view).


I can't forgive myself for not having researched this author earlier, taking into account the fact that "A passage to India" is among the films I discuss in my regular English classes, despite feeling it would make no difference as to the way it is "approached" in the classroom.


In regards to this biography, which I really enjoyed I was particularly impressed with the author's sensitive kindness and altruistic approach to friendship, whether or not we agree with it.
 
 









"In A great unrecorded history, a well written, intelligent and perceptive biography of Foster, Wendy Moffat attempts to explore that silence and at the same time to draw a picture of a figure who was sensitive, sensuous and kind, an artist who possessed a keen plain sort of wisdom and lightness of touch, that make him to this day, an immensely influential novelist, almost a prophet. She uses the sources for our knowledge of Foster's sexuality including letters and diaries, without reducing the mystery and sheer individuality of Foster without making his sexuality explain everything."    








 

No comments:

Post a Comment