Friday 21 March 2014

Praising theatre acting ... praising my daughter ...


I have always had the utmost respect for theatre actors, particularly those whose performances touch me, whether or not I like the play.

I must admit it may not always be easy to have an unbiased perspective if one of the actors on stage happens to be your daughter and yet I do confess that, more often than I would expect, it sometimes takes me a few seconds to identify her and that is not always connected to the physical appearance but rather the confidence and ability she has to step into the characters she plays and actually commit to them.

Though considered to be highly subjective, getting into the character's thoughts, feelings and even background, as well as being able to connect to the audience in a believable way is what, according to my personal opinion, makes a good performer. 








































Having to live in a country where most young people are forced to put their dreams behind ... where Theatre and other forms of Art are not adequately supported by those who are in a position to ... where cultural events are rarely attended by those who would like to, yet don't because Culture is "costly" ... where society encourages "acting" at a different level ... I feel like praising those who have gone after and are still going after their dreams (at their own cost) and manage to get up on stage and give their best, committing to themselves, to the characters they have been assigned and the public ...











... and among those I would particularly like to praise my daughter for having had the courage to dedicate herself to Theatre acting and for continuing to do so in such a committed way ...










No comments:

Post a Comment