Wednesday 6 March 2013

"Tomorrow" by Graham Swift ...








I had no idea who Graham Swift was until I bought one of his books on sale at a local bookstore. The fact that he is the author of nine acclaimed novels would not have been significant in regards to my personal taste as far as books are concerned, taking into account many other authors under similar circumstances, whose books I haven't chosen to read, but the truth is the moment I started reading his novel "Tomorrow" I was literally swept off my feet.


Not only does it touch one's personal inner thoughts intensely but also brings out what the depth of the fragilities, illusions, secrecies and everything that may involve happiness, family bonds, parenthood and even one's self are about in what could be described as a subtle writing approach.


The narrator's anticipation of the damaging consequences involved in the breaking of the shocking news to her sixteen year old teenage children the following day is done in an elegant, reflexive and "silent" monologue, almost story-like covering her lifetime and theirs over the course of a sleepless night.


The fact that it was released in 2007 to mostly unfavourable reviews has not  changed the positive impact it has had on me.


"A masterful and compassionate novel of rare emotional power and narrative skill".










No comments:

Post a Comment