Saturday 12 January 2013

"The New ages of the sea"- temporary exhibition at Gulbenkian Museum, Lisbon



In spite of having lived close to the sea throughout my childhood I have always been afraid of the sea, though inexplicably drawn to it.

Images of the sea have always made me uneasily attracted and this is exactly what happened to me as I strolled around the several temporary exhibiting rooms at Gulbenkian Museum, which has grouped  several paintings of the sea or associated with it in six groups, as in accordance with the diversity of the thematic areas, which cover the Age of Myths, the Age of Power, Sea and Labour, Storms and Shipwrecks, the Ephemeral and the Quest for Infinity.

Paintings by some of my favourite painters are being exhibited - Claude Monet, Gustave Courbet and Jean-Auguste Dominique Ingres, just to name a few and so if it were for no other reason it would have still been a particularly important moment for me.

There were too many people, many of them foreigners, but the disposition of the rooms and paintings allowed  one to spend reasonable time admiring such artistic representations.








It will be on till the 27th of January and is really worth being visited.









No comments:

Post a Comment