Monday 19 March 2012

Sofi Oksanen ...




It is not uncommon for me to read  a book in two days, but "The Purge" by Sofi Oksanen, the latest book I have read,  has actually "been" with me since then, which is a lot less likely to happen. 

Much has been said and written about this fabulous young writer, I had unfortunately never heard of before, though the book was first published in 2008 (the first edition in Portuguese having been published in October 2011) ... and the truth is I don't feel I can describe how I felt when reading this "gripping portraits of women and the female experience of the loss of freedom" set  in two completely different periods of time - the wartime  1940's  Estonia during the Soviet occupation and the 90's with the reality of victims' trafficking.






Having won numerous literary prizes "The Purge" is " a sheer masterpiece ... a marvel " in the words of the writer Nancy Huston and according to the Times its author "has become a literary phenomenon".



A book worth reading more than once ...









No comments:

Post a Comment