Sunday 26 February 2012

The Carnival parade in Calheta de São Miguel, Cape Verde


For the first time since 2009, I haven't been to the children's Carnival parade in Calheta de São Miguel. I can't help but feeling happy and "proud" though, after having been sent some photos by Sibylle, in which some of the girls are wearing the Carnival masks I sent them recently.

This is a rather important moment for them because those children whose existence is "semi-invisible" throughout the year can proudly parade the Carnival school outfits along the main cobblestone street of Calheta whilst singing and dancing ... and be "seen".


















Ana (left). Patricia and Erica (right).












 

Jussara, Tarine and Juliza (left). Juliza, Delmizia, Tarine, Daniela and Jussara (right).

















Lavinia (left) and Marline (right).






Inspite of not having been among the crowd lining up the streets to cheer them up I know they know I "was" there in my thoughts ...









No comments:

Post a Comment