Saturday 12 November 2011

Cape Verde, Calheta de São Miguel (the afternoon of the second day) - the 30th of October 2011




As I was heading to Cutelo Miranda to have lunch at the Landim's I passed by Veronica's and stopped to photograph her recently born sister, as well as her parents. One of these days I'll have to hang around for a bit longer as they have been inviting me in since the first time I set foot in Calheta and I don't want them to think it a disrespect on my part.




















Cutelo Miranda looked very green, I believe because of the rain that fell weeks before. Right next to the Landim's I managed to see Jessica's brother playing the basketball game (he had just been given the day before) with some friends and that somehow made me happy.





















I would be working with a group of eight girls, whose artistic skills are worth noting and therefore headed back to the ADEC Academy soon after lunch (a delicious duck Nate prepared for me), so as to be there by two. On my way down heard a group of very small children singing local nursery rhymes and  couldn't help but stop to listen in and take their photo.



















On the way down from Cutelo Miranda (left); Meat vendors near the port (right).





I had taken with me a variety of Artistic works for the girls to do, as according to their skills. Four of them (Lavinia, Leinira, Marline and Josseane)  had attended  all my workshops since 2009, whilst three (Elcy, Veronica and Tarine) joined in 2010 with Diva and Lou having only attended the last one.

Lavinia and Marline would be using scratch boards, Veronica and Marline would be working with chalk markers, Tarine with felt tip brushes, Lou and Elcy would be using stamp boards and Diva would be working with glitter. Josseane came in late and was therefore given a scissors cutting Art project.







Distributing the  Art projects and providing the necessary explanations.





Explaining Lavinia (left) and Marline (right) the scratching techniques.







Sellecting the adequate project for Marline (left) and providing her with an extra explanation (right).














Lavinia (left) and Marline (right) carrying out the scratching.





















Elcy (left) and Lou (right) using the stamps to complete their Art projects.
















Diva and I "dealing" with the extra glitter fallen on the table (left); Teaching Josseane some paper cutting techniques (right).







Tarine using the felt tip brushes to complete her Art project.






Veronica (left) and Marline (right) using the chalk markers to finish their Art projects.





These girls genuinely enjoy doing this type of Art projects and little do they know that I often see myself in them (particularly the ones who have been with me since 2009). Some of these are very meticulous "pieces of Art" which imply a huge amount of patience ... but to see the way they commit themselves to doing them gives me an immense pleasure. I am sure Sibylle, who has been by my side in every workshop since 2010 shares this opinion of mine.

The finished "Art projects" speak for themselves ... and to see the way they hold them as they are being photographed encourages me to further continue bringing "Art" into these children's lives.






Leinira (left) and Veronica (right) with their completed chalk marker paintings.





Lou (left) and Elcy (right) with the completed stamped paintings.







Diva (left) with her completed glitter board and Tarine (right) with her finished felt tip brush painting.







Marline (left) and Lavinia (right) with their unfinished (though still very beautiful) scratch paintings.




(to be continued)








2 comments:

  1. Congratulations for the work done.
    They are very beautiful!

    BELL

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful work! =)

    Ekaterina

    ReplyDelete