Monday 1 August 2011

The "softball" group of Calheta ...


The 45 girls from Calheta who have been playing "softball" under the guidance of three foreign residents in Calheta (Sibylle, Daniel and Gretchen) are "priviledged" to do something outside of their daily routine ... and for all the twice a week practicing may sound more like an occupacional type of activity, the girls take the whole thing very seriously. 

So far they have only been competing among themselves, but they will hopefully be able to compete at a different level one day.

I have seen them play and witnessed their committment, enthusiasm and happiness but I would be lying if I were to say that I considered "softball" playing the most important activity as far as these girls are concerned. I would have invested in education instead, as I feel any sports activity is "short-lived" and education could provide them with a more secure basis for the future, though I can understand the choice ...


















































Note:  My apologies for the outdated information provided in the article. I have just been informed by Sibylle that the girls do effectivelly have English lessons not only related to the game rules but also General English every Tuesday and the twenty who will be selected as being part of the "official" team will also be entitled to having school support for their homework, as well as aditional teaching support in case they might have school learning difficulties. An Ergo-Therapist is also permanently available and intervenes whenever it is necessary (added to the initial article on the 5th of August)  










No comments:

Post a Comment