Sunday 12 December 2010

An angel of every possible colour ...



The cover of "An angel just like me"


I was "working on" Mary Hoffman's book " An angel just like me" I intend to read to the children in Cape Verde (during the next workshop) and came across some questions I would possibly never have thought of nor prompted, but which the main character of the book (a young black kid) so naturally has, whilst decorating the  Christmas tree - " Why do angels look like girls? Can't boys be angels? Why are they always pink? Aren't there black angels?" ...


I don't think the children in Calheta will consider prompting these, because I believe very few have ever decorated Christmas trees ... but I would like them to know that angels may be of every possible colour ...  All we have to do is to "create" them to look the way we want them to look ... and why not "like ourselves" ... 



Two angels of a series of four different "coloured" angels in one of the streets of Lisbon.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for using this book. Let me know how the work goes.

    Mary Hoffman
    readers@maryhoffman.co.uk

    ReplyDelete