Monday 15 November 2010

The value of things ... and "valuable"people ...


"O valor das coisas não está no tempo que elas duram, mas na intensidade com que elas acontecem. Por isso existem momentos inesquecíveis, coisas inexplicáveis e pessoas incomparáveis". 
Fernando Pessoa.

We don't always praise people who for some sort of reason have been (are) important or have made (are making) a difference in our lives.
According to this poem by Pessoa, the value of things does not lie on the amount of time they last but rather on the intensity with which they occur, this being the reason why there are unforgettable moments, inexplicable things and incomparable people.

Christian, whom I met during the 2001 total eclipse of the sun in Angola, has been a permanent "presence" in my life ever since and an indisputable important one.

Mia, whom I gave birth to, has "grown" into my day to day companion ... friend ... confidant ... exceeding her role as my daughter in many circumstances.

Jana, whom I worked with in many of the Eurocontrol projects was more than a simple colleague over the years ...  she was someone I was always looking forward to meeting (again ... and again ...).

Brigitte, whom I met on the beach in Luanda and who was to soon become a friend, may not even know to this day to which extent she was important for me when my daughter Faye passed away...

I want to celebrate their existence today ... and the unique role they played (and some still play) in my existence ... they were (are) all I could ask for ... they are "special".



Christian and I (Turkey 2010). 
Mia, Jana and I (Czech Republic 2007).

Brigitte and I (Angola 2006).






No comments:

Post a Comment