Monday 20 September 2010

"My" Cape Verdean cockrel ... Nha Francisca ... or just thoughts ...


I was given a cockrel on the eve of my return to Lisbon ... a beautiful  Cape Verdean cockrel,  as  beautiful as the "thank you" gesture from Nha Francisca, for having got Nessinha a "Godmother" to pay for her school fees (she'll be starting kindergarten soon) ... and for all I would like to have kept it alive ... bring it home with me ... and whichever other solution I might envisage ... I knew it would not  be possible ...

The truth is I wasn't allowed but to call him "mine" until dinner time ... when I finally saw him again (almost unrecognizable ... on my plate) ... deprived of his "graceful" and boisterous attitude.


(Benedita holding the cockrel)











As Nessinha was leaving with her great grandmother following behind ... I just felt I had to photograph them  heading back home ...


They are such a pair ...

Nha Francisca has certainly had to go through  quite a few  difficult moments, both in Cape Verde and São Tomé islands, where she worked at one of those many "roças" (plantations owned by rich Portuguese farmers who used to take on labourers from Cape Verde, many of which never had a chance to come back home).


She is quite old and may not be around for too long ... though she is still very energetic ... her recent hospitalization does not seem to have affected her as much as anyone thought it would ...

I can't help looking at these "older" people  and  ... think how differently we (westerners) react towards old age ...





Around here ... they are considered as being wise, therefore ...  entitled to being listened to ... respected ... looked after ... and ultimately to feel "alive"...






No comments:

Post a Comment