Tuesday 28 September 2010

Madeira weekend , a short illustrated story ... (24th - 26th September 2010) - first part



24th of September 2010
The annual trip proposed by the organizing cabinet (Gabcim) of our enterprise was Madeira island and a two day circuit, which sounded "promising" and even challenging, taking into account the limited amount of time we had to see all that we were expected to.

Irrespective of having already been to this particular island several times before, (I must admit that) in no way did this negatively interfere on my decision to go, nor did it diminish the enthusiasm with which I headed to the airport on Friday afternoon.

What none of us had expected was a 2 hour delay  before having been allowed to board the plane (Columbano Bordalo Pinheiro). By the time we reached Madeira, the dinner we all had been longing for (Beef skewers accompanied by fried cubes of cold polenta), made us forget all the moments of boredom and  tiredness, we had had to endure at Lisbon Airport.

The aircraft soon after having landed at Funchal airport  (Left).
The agency bus waiting for us outside the terminal (Right)



25th of September 2010
The humidity, which is often felt around this area, affected me (and a few others), though the vibrant colours of the local market (Mercado dos Lavradores) soon made me forget I had a strong pain  on my back ... as I wandered around two of the three existing floors ... fascinated with the  wide variety of flowers, sold by women wearing  the adapted "traditional" dress (striped skirt made out of linen and  rough woolen fabric called "seriguilha", a blue or red cape, flat boots and  a cap with a pointed tip which looks like an upside funnel, which initially appeared in the XIX century and included a bodice of corduroy embroidered in white and a white shirt pleaded and  fastened around the neck).


Selling flowers outside (Left) and inside (Right) the market.



A market dweller wearing one of the few pieces  of typical Madeiran dress (cap with ear flats), which can still be seen today (Left). Dried fish for sale on the groundfloor of the market (Right). 

We then headed for  a very short visit to the  XVth century Sé Cathedral,  built on the orders of Dom Manuel I and located in the second oldest quarter of Funchal, where the sugar mercants are said to have settled in the same century.


Images of the Sé Cathedral's interior with  details of its painted roof (Left) and main Chapel (Right). 
The exciting trip along the coast on a catamaran was to follow. As we were walking on the harbour prior to sailing off,  I noticed a few paintings on its wall, that I just couldn't help photographing ...

The female figure seems to always have been on sailors' minds ... no matter where they come from ...  and these I found to be particularly interesting ... (the subtle provocative position of the arms of the one on the left and the  discreet intensity of the expression of the one on the right) ...


Paintings on the harbour wall

The amount of different vessels anchored on the harbour was sufficiently impressive ... but the catamaran we were to sail off on ...  soon  caught my attention ...
I would be lying if I were to say that I was not a bit aprehensive at the beginning ... but the thrill of the sail took  hold of my emotions ...  and in no time I was feeling  as comfortable as a long time experienced sailor ...  


The harbour (Left). "Our" catamaran (Right).

Although I didn't risk doing what some of my colleagues did (lying down on one of the front nets of the catamaran ... or  even diving during the short halt in front of Cape Girão) ... I  feel I fully enjoyed the sailing experience along  this part of the island, especially because one gets a completely different perspective of Funchal and the neighbouring villages from the coastline ...



Approaching Cape Girão
(Left). Another catamaran (Right)

As we were walking on the harbour peer again,  on the way to a restaurant located right in front of it two more paintings caught my attention ..., mainly   because of the expressions ... and the simple defining lines ... as well as the mermaid statue placed just a few seconds away from where we were having lunch (fresh tuna fish fillets in onion stew sauce).


Paintings on the harbour wall
Mermaid statue at the harbour peer


The afternoon circuit started off just across the pavement from this statue, (which I incidently found quite interesting ...) ... and although most of us were feeling in need of a "siesta" ... the proposal was too exciting for any of us to consider missing it ...  



(to be continued)








No comments:

Post a Comment