Tuesday 8 June 2010

With the future in mind ... or Aditional solidarity gestures ...


Today I have been approached by a few of my colleagues wanting to give me their contribution for the project in Calheta and I can't help but feel particularly proud to realise, once more, that  Portuguese people still do care about others. I may be considered a "dreamer" and even naïve enough to feel that these gestures will eventually make a difference. They may not be significant in the imediate, but will certainly have an impact in the long run ... I just know it because of previous experiences.

Back in 1986, a student from ASA, where I was teaching at the time and who simultaneously was a friend of mine had a young daughter (whose name was Gi) with sight problems, which could not be resolved in Cape Verde and due to the prompt necessity to do something about it, I decided to bring the child with me and have her observed by an ophthalmologist. Following that episode and after the child returned to Sal fully recovered, everytime I went to Cape Verde during the Summer to carry out the yearly Aeronautical English refresher courses I used to carry books that belonged to my daughters, both of them fairly young at the time to give to Gi and her half sister Bety.

I did this for over a period of maybe 4 years and to my surprise in 2000, whilst on holiday down there, two young ladies approached me enthusiastically calling me Yolas (a nickname that very few people knew of, with the exception of my students) ... I had absolutely no idea who they were  ... and it was only after they started telling me how much "Anita's books" had helped them read and dream, did I realize these teenagers,  who now wanted to go to university, were the young girls I had brought these books to, over the years.





Bety in "Bom Dia Café", Espargos, 2009








They have attended University courses in Portugal, having both had scholarships. What a handful of books did is a lot more than anyone would have thought of. It allowed them to develop their reading skills, but also to "travel" within the world of the stories and the dreams ... the dreams that one day came true.


These are the things I was given for the "supported" children, which I will be carrying together with the 20 kilos of material I have bought for the next February workshop. Who knows if some  of these children will not also be able to have dreams and fulfil some of them in the future! ...

Three T-shirts; a box of colouring pencils and some school material given by Isabel for her "protegée" Justina, as well as some small presents (a skipping rope, a book and a small gift the girlfriends who will be at the birthday party are to give her in their name) bought by me.  Isabel has also ensured the yearly school fees of Justina, having given me an extra amount of money to organize her birthday party.  








Some books  and note books I have bought for my "protégée" Leinira, as well as a skirt, a T-shirt and some sandals.





T-shirts, shorts and school material provided by Surama and her husband Sérgio for both their "protégées" Neuza and Simone. The couple has also given me the money to ensure the yearly school fees for the girls.





Some school material bought by Carla, who still has got no "protégée". She has also given me the necessary money to pay for the yearly  primary school fees of one girl/boy.

Children bead bracelets, rings and necklaces (12 of each) offered by Surama for the children, who will be participating in Justina's birthday party. 



I have also been given the money to ensure Tarine's school fees (by her "godmother" Fátima) and the  pre-primary school fees for Nessinha (by Sandra), not to mention two school bags, for which I still have to find space in my luggage - one for Elias (bought by Gabriela) and another one for Justina (bought by Isabel), as well as money to buy school material for whoever may need (given by Maria João).

No comments:

Post a Comment