Thursday 3 June 2010

Solidarity gestures ...


When I started this blog  just a month ago, I had no idea it would have an impact regarding the volunteering projects I have been carrying out in Cape Verde.

Just  two days ago a colleague of mine (Silvia) walked into my office with a whole new outfit for Justina to wear on her first ever birthday party ... the one I will be organizing for her next week.  Soon after, another colleague (Manuela) handed me a small  handmade wallet for her with half the amount she will need to have her next year school fees paid for, and that's not all ... because as I was emotionally telling this to another colleague (Luisa), she unexpectedely handed me the rest of the money which was still needed to pay for the whole amount of Justina's school year's fees.

I believe the fact that these colleagues know there is a child in need, who has got a face and a name and that what they have provided me with in these unique solidarity gestures is going to be given to a child whose story they have been  made aware of, does make a difference ... and I am not saying one should not  give money for less "visible" causes  ... but at least there's this sense of direct involvement ... and
contribution towards the happiness and development of this or that particular child.



A few weeks ago Surama and her husband became Simone and Neuza's "godparents" and yesterday I have been told that apart from what  the couple will soon be giving me to take for both children, Surama has decided to  also give me 12 bracelets and rings for the girls, who will be participating in Justina's forthcoming birthday party ... as a little treat.

I must say these solidarity gestures have touched me and I am immensely grateful because ... with this type of support I just might be able to "move further" ...

1 comment:

  1. Hello my dear friend :-) thank you for give us a chance to give a smille for those who really needs,,

    The blog is amayzing!! love it!!

    SURAMA

    ReplyDelete