Wednesday 16 June 2010

Plateau and its surroundings ...


I love strolling around Plateau ... walk into the French Cultural Centre (although it has been recently moved) or the Palace of Culture ... stop over at Diogo Gomes belvedere, have a drink at Sofia's Café and listen to some live music at Quintal da Música. 

Gamboa Beach and Achada de Santo António as seen from Diogo Gomes belvedere.

Diogo Gomes belvedere, as seen from Gamboa (Left). Santa Maria islet seen from the belvedere (Right).


Embedded in the walls of the belvedere, these paintings depict traditional festivities.

Painting inside Sofia's Café (details)

Painting inside Sofia's Café (details)

I always have mixed feelings, though ...  particularly when it comes to being immersed in this different type of culture, the one ... many Cape Verdians don't have acess to, irrespective of it being theirs ...

I just felt compelled to walk to Prainha  (the beach I used to go to in 2001) under a blazing sun ... to just confirm that small, quiet, cosy beach was still there ... as if waiting for me ...

Prainha beach (left) and Gamboa beach (Right).


I'll be leaving this afternnon ... and a touch of nostalgia is beginning to catch hold of me ...
It is this magic spell of Plateau and its surroundings, I am sure ...
... But what is not "magic" around here?...  Cape Verde is spell bounding ...



Note: The paintings hanging from the walls of Sofia's Café are by Nelson Lobo (born in1952).



No comments:

Post a Comment