Wednesday 23 June 2010

" Exit the King" a play by Eugène Ionesco ...



I was wondering whether I would have liked the play as much as I did, had my daugther  Mia not been one of the "characters" on stage, ... but the truth is, I honestly think I would.
This play calls for reflexion ...  What would we do if we were to be informed, like the King was early in the play, that our death was imminent.
Would  we be in denial ? Would we be depressed ... lapse into sentimentatility ... or accept the reality of the impending death? ... but then what would we do? ... How would we react? ...
We may not know ... because we have not been faced with such a situation (yet) ... and may possibly never have to be confronted with it ... 
The play is a lot deeper  ... though everything turns around this main issue.
The interpretation was superb ... the scenario stripped down to a throne ..., the one that even those in power will not be able to hold onto, in the hour of their death.

Carlos Paulo - King Berenger
Tânia Alves - King Berenger's first wife, Marguerite
Ana Lúcia Palminha - King Berenger's second wife, Marie
Rui Neto - The doctor
Mia Farr - The Royal maid
Alexandre Lopes - The Royal guard
Cenography and play adaptation  by João Mota


One last reflection  ... quoting Ionesco " I told myself that one could learn to die, that I could learn to die, that one can also help other people to die. This seems to me to be the most important thing we can do, since we're all of us dying men who refuse to die".




No comments:

Post a Comment