Tuesday 11 May 2010

Kabongo's paintings

I bought the first Kabongo paintings in 2001.
I was strongly impressed by the themes which evolved around market scenes and street vendors ... that's what Luanda's downtown was about then ... a permanent movement of  strong colours and odours ... thick paint strokes embellishing the stuffy humid atmosphere ...

I went back in 2006 ... met the painter in a small Portuguese restaurant carrying a bunch of small tree branch framed canvases for sale ... the same vibrant colours filled in the air, as he showed one after the other ...

I haven't been back since then ... but Kabongo's paintings, still lined up against my living room wall, bring me those pitch singing voices of the "kitandeiras" selling those strong scented tropical fruits whenever I look at them ...


1 comment:

  1. hi,

    my wife spent some time working in Angola, and a co-worker gave her a Kabongo's painting as a gift. we have one from the same sereis as those on this page, with vibrant colors on the trees and many african women and children. i can send you the photo for your blog e-mail me at alecjr (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete