Friday 22 September 2017

Some of the books I have read lately ...


One of the latest book I have read was The Prison book  club by Ann Walmsley, which I loved.  Structured around a series of book club meetings inside prisons an correctional centres in Canada, it provided me not only with a brief idea as to what the Canadian Correctional system is like but above all changed my overall perception as to the stereotype prisoner, as I read a number of insightful and invaluable comments the inmates conveyed on a wide range of literary works.
 
 
 
"If you expect the best of people they will rise to the occasion." -  extract from The Prison Book Club
 
 
 
Some of the books analysed by those inmates had already been read by me, though I must confess I hadn't come up with many of the brilliant insights they provided. This has in turn led me to wanting to re-read some of those books, as well as buy some of the books I have never read.
 
 
 
Among those analysed books was one I have also recently read and which I fell in love with - A fine balance by Rohinton Misthy, whose writing style I was also drawn to.






















"You have to use your failures as stepping stones to success. You have to maintain a fine balance between hope and dispair. In the end it is all a question of balance." -
 
 
 
"The secret of survival is to embrace change and to adapt (...) all things fall and are built again, and those that build them are gay."




They are both absolutely "must-read" for any book lovers .




 

No comments:

Post a Comment