Tuesday 27 June 2017

My 19 Day Iranian Azerbaijan circuit - From the Caspian rives to Tabriz and Takht-e Soleiman - Day 12 (morning) - Salmâs - The Khân Takhti Sassanid bas-relief - The 20th of May 2017


We set off fairly early in the morning having taken the road to Urmia. Upon reaching Salmas outskirts we headed towards an engraved rock with a bas relief dating back to the Sassanid period which is said to be a memorial of the conquest against the Romanian. In it we can see the images of Ardeshir (on the left) and Prince Shapoor I (on the right) on horseback upon their return from the conquest of Armenia. Two Armenian noblemen can be seen (though one is more visible than the other) bearing gifts. I was really impressed by the artistry, especially displayed in the carving of the image of the Prince, whose look in the eyes was almost real. 
 



































I couldn't help looking at it from every possible angle because apart from the fact that I am fond of meticulously made carvings and any form of bas-reliefs I was particularly astounded by the expressions displayed who seemed "alive" everytime I changed position.











 

No comments:

Post a Comment