Thursday 11 August 2016

A book read overnight ...



Despite the ongoing controversial issues surrounding the publication of Alentejo prometido (Promised Alentejo) by Henrique Raposo, which I feel are more of a cultural "misunderstanding" I read it overnight and did enjoy it. If for nothing else his prose needs to be acknowledged as a fusion of realism and story telling that can't but dazzle the reader. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
"Where do I belong? In all truth the place where I was born has become strange to me as if  having turned into a performing stage and when I am on it it feels like I am playing a role. The other, where I have been living at for over a century does sometimes feel like a moving away ship which has left me behind. Should I look for another? Neither would age allow it nor would the ties let me. Because it's like this: I don't belong but what holds me on is too strong." - J. Rentes de Carvalho
 
 
 
 
 
Note: J. Rentes de Carvalho 's extract has been freely translated from the Portuguese into English.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment