Thursday 9 July 2015

The five day trip to Warsaw (Day 5 morning) - Strolling around the Lazienki Park - the 28th of June 2015



The moment I reached the Lazienki Park I was expecting to see the Chopin Monument straight away, which I didn't, as I must have walked in through a different entrance. The sculpted image of young Chopin  sitting next to a willow is rather impressive and I couldn't but photograph it from various perspectives. The original sculpture is said to have  been destroyed during World War II, so the one we admire nowadays was made in 1958. 
































The name of Lazienki means "baths" and is associated to the park's centre piece, the Palace of the island, considered as one of the park's best attractions.
 
I made my way  down knowing that if I didn't circumnavigate the park I'd miss a few important sites and the fact was I didn't have any map to help me out.








I soon came  across the rectangular horseshoe shaped Old Orangery I would later go back to, once it was too early and therefore still closed.




 
 
 
 
Fairly close to the next building  (also closed) I came across the White House, a small lake gave the whole surrounding atmosphere a touch of beauty. The 1774-76 garden villa is said to have had King Louis XVIII as its famous lodging guest during his exile from France.
 
Farther along amidst the green gardens, where joyous squirrels were abundant and apparently unafraid of passers by, as I had a few coming to me and getting really close, stood a beautiful Asian Tea-Garden.

























If the Palace on the water, a 1680 Royal Baroque Baths House had me mesmerised, whether I was looking at it from the back or the front, I was equally impressed with the 1790-93 Theatre inspired by the ancient Greek and Roman architecture. Its stage was modeled after the ancient Herculaneum and embellished with decorative motifs to imitate the Roman Forum.
 
 
As I strolled around admiring the overwhelming atmosphere a couple of peacocks on their certainly pre-meditated catwalk took all our attention, but so did the bright coloured blue (and in some cases) orange sculptures depicting squirrels that were spread around the lawns.
 





























 
 
 
 
Upon having decided to continue walking towards  the Ujazdow castle before heading back in the other direction, I came across the Myslewicki Palace, which was undergoing repairs, thus having its façade covered up in a thin tissue on which the image of the large niche topped with a conchoa that made up its original façade, was designed. 












(To be continued)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 







 

No comments:

Post a Comment