Friday 10 July 2015

The five day trip to Warsaw (Day 5 early afternoon) - On the way back to the old town centre - The Church of St. Joseph, the Betrothed of the Blessed Virgin Mary - The 28th of June 2015



As I made my way back into the city centre I noticed that most fences along the Ul. Ujazdowskie had street placards on them and whether they were Art or World related I felt each of them was important in its own way because not only were artistic tendencies being disclosed but also relevant information being imparted to the passers by. Which better way would there be than using the streets people inevitably have to pass by so as to make them aware of  what goes on artistically and socially speaking.
 
I took quite a few pictures of the ones I was drawn to from a modern artistic approach to renowned paintings to being impacted by the eye-catching one of Germán Montalvo and Benito Cabañas.
 
 










Farther on  a different set of images caught my attention and made me think of the importance of a simple seed and symbolically the richness cultural adventures can provide.




































 
 
 
 
 
I soon found myself in Nowy Swiat street where fashion and the new couture tendencies seemed to be the highlight.























 
 
Prior to reaching the Church of St. Joseph, the Betrothed of the Blessed Virgin Mary, which I managed to finally visit I came across a number of street placards "advertising" the Polish castles and palaces worth being visited and with them the realisation that I would fly back home at the end of the day being unable to get anywhere beyond those images.  







The late Baroque church, whose construction was initiated in the 18th century took 33 years to be finished due to a lack of financial funding. It is said not to have been damaged during World War II, having therefore mainted its originality.  Among the artistic elements worth being noted in its interior is the rococo pulpit in the shape of a boat and an ebony tabernacle from 1654 that resembles a small temple.It should be added that it was here that Chopin used to play the church organ.
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



















A few metres away from the church I came across another black and white photo exhibition I found equally interesting.




















I photographed the statues of Prince Józef Poniatowski and Adam Mickiecicz once more influenced by the fact of having read additional information on them and their "monuments" the night before.













The figure of the War Minister and Duchy of Warsaw Military Commander, as well as Marshall of France was modelled after the statue of Caesar Marc Aurelius of the Roman Capitol.






 
The monument to one of Poland's most eminent poets of the Romantic period played an important role during the events of March 1968, because it was there that protests against the removal of Mickiewicz's work "Dziadi" from a list of National Theatre performances were carried out.










 

No comments:

Post a Comment