Tuesday 7 July 2015

The five day trip to Warsaw (Day 4 afternoon) - The Saski Park - The 27th of June 2015




I walked back into the Marszatkowska street so as to reach the Saski Park, which opened to the public in 1727 and is among the oldest public parks in the world. Although wrecked by the Nazis in 1944 many of its trees survived and it may still be possible to find some dating back to a quarter of a millenium ago.
 
I walked along the alley lined by sandstone rococo sculptures said to have been made before 1745, some of which I found to be rather interesting.













































I managed to have my photo taken by the Empire style fountain designed by Marconi in 1855 before I headed towards  the tomb of the unknown soldier, whose tripple arch is the only surviving part of the former Saski Palace.




















On the way back from the Barbican I made my way through the Saski park again though I took a different turn and ended up in a completely different part, where I sat for a while before making it back to the hotel.

























(To be continued)
 
 
 
 
 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment