Monday 27 October 2014

The latest books I have read ...


No books could be so utterly different as the latest two books I have read and yet I can't help saying I have enjoyed them both. Erich Marie Remarque's writing is sublime and the story a rather touching one. I couldn't put the book down the moment I started reading it and at one particular time I felt as if I was experiencing the characters's setbacks.
 
The fact that part of the story is set in Lisbon, whose role during the second world war was  one of extreme importance as far as the refugees are concerned, might have had an additional impact especially because I have read quite a lot about it and in particular Portugual's involvement as a neutral country throughout the whole ordeal but it was a lot more than that. Some of the extracts made me further wonder and that in itself was well worth the reading.
 
 
 
"Les souvenirs pénibles ont un avantage: ils vous convainquent qu'on est heureux même si l'on doutait un instant plus tôt."
 
"Ne perd-on pas constamment ce que l'on croit tenir, parce que rien ne demeure immobile? (...) L'immobilité ne survient-elle pas à l'instant seulement òu tout est fini? Rien ne changera plus. N'est-ce pas alors qu'on possède vraiment les choses?"
 
" Mais n'est-ce pas l'ambition de chacun, de vouloir retenir ce qui nous échappe et de fuir ce qui refuse de nous quitter?"
 
"L'absence  compte dix fois plus que la présence."
 
"Jusqu'au jour, je n'avais prêté attention qu'à ce qui m'avait été pris, sans imaginer que j'avais pu acquérir quelque chose."
 
"Les choses ne sont importantes qu'en fonction du prix que nous leur attachons."
 
    











The "Touriste" was definitely a lighter book to read though unquestionably interesting. Some of the countries the journalist has visited  and written about I have been to myself and my opinion may differ from the one he has conveyed. His opinions are based on his personal experiences thus  ...
 
"Tout n'est pas dans tout, chaque événement est unique et laisse des traces uniques aussi bien dans l'histoire que dans la mémoire de ceux qui l'ont traversé." 
 
"Le paradis n'a pas d'adresse. Il se déplace à la suface de la planète pour offrir des moments furtifs à ceux qui savent les saisir."












 

No comments:

Post a Comment