Saturday 16 August 2014

Last pictures and considerations on the Azores and the Azorean project - The 7th and the 8th of August 2014


Despite the fact that there is something about Santa Maria island that does remind me of another island farther down the Atlantic, which used to be a former Portuguese colony there is another aspect though that couldn't be further from it - the display of a strong religious influence still to be seen in its multiple churches and chapels. The images of  the holy Christ and his suffering couldn't be more touching and equally contrasting against the heavily gilded decorated niches.
































Ana and I strolled around the city centre, which is not more than a main street before having had our farewell dinner at a local restaurant bar. A lonely looking figure painted on a wall next to the restaurant caught my attention.  As I looked at it something rather unexpected touched me, what it was I'll not be able to say ... 







The following day brought with it a certain nostalgia and yet extreme joy to get back home after a hard working week, which was, beyond no doubt one of the most exhausting of my teaching career. Having to stop over at Ponta Delgada in São Miguel  on our way home was a nuisance we had to endure, as the only direct flight is on Thursday.








The unexpected delay at Ponta Delgada had me wander about the terminal, as I walked in and out trying to distract me and focus on something that would help me endure the additional tiredness and the prospect of landing at Lisbon airport in the early hours of Saturday. A painted wall outside the main terminal caught my attention for its naive approach to the island and what it has to offer. I "travelled" beyond those colourful images trying to guess what its author had intended to convey.


























... When we were finally called in to go through customs exhaustion had taken its toll on both of us ... but we were heading home ...












No comments:

Post a Comment