Saturday 5 April 2014

My two day adventure in Bilbao - Day 2 (morning-cont.) - Basílica de La Begoña, San Juanes Church and the Bilbao Cathedral of Saint James - The 30th of March 2014


(...)

I was determined not to leave Bilbao without seeing the religious building said to be the most symbolic one in the city, though that meant having to walk all the way up the Calzadas Mallona.







Upon reaching the Etxebarria Park I had to sit down, not only for relaxation purposes but also to admire the view over the Casco Viejo.










I still had to walk on for another twenty minutes till I sighted the sixteenth century Basilica de la Begoña, which was fortunately open in preparation for a Sunday morning mass. I took a few photos prior to the massive arrival of the church goers, having been told I would soon have to interrupt the photographing.






















Walking down the hill didn't seem too easy as I chose not to look at the map and got slightly farther away from where I had intended to move onto, once there were quite a few lanes without any way out.


















The sound of the church bells warned me that some masses would be carried out soon, so I rushed to where the sound was coming from, in order to be able to photograph the interiors of both San Juanes church and the Cathedral of Saint James.










































I just missed an opportunity to have been on a guided tour to the Cathedral, which I strongly regret and though I can understand and even sympathise with the fact that most churches have to be closed nowadays not to allow sacred artefacts from being stolen I felt  rather disappointed not to have had the chance of thoroughly admiring some of the religious buildings.






(to be continued)










No comments:

Post a Comment