Tuesday 1 October 2013

The Uzbek culture and traditions circuit, Bukhara (Day 5 afternoon cont.) - The 11th of September 2013


(...)

Puppets made of any material and shape from the simplest to the most complex ones do have a special place in my heart and imagination. It may be associated with the fact that puppetry played a rather unique role in my childhood or the cheer joy I've lately discovered whilst adding a touch of magic to the story telling sessions whenever I entertain village children in remote areas of Africa, I honestly don't know. 

What is known though is that puppetry  was practised in Ancient Greece and the oldest records of puppetry are said to date from the 5th century BC.























Having been given the possibility of visiting a puppet "atelier" was therefore a privilege and a thrilling experience. The puppet maker and puppeteer was so enthusiastic as he took us through the whole explanation regarding puppet design and having the designs turned into "papier maché" replicas that we were all carried away by his own "fascination".

























The many facial features and expressions provided a wide variety of potential story telling scenarios that I couldn't help but envisaging myself using some of those glove puppets in display.

The puppeteer's teenage son whom we saw soaking pieces of paper in the mixture of water and flour whilst compulsively watching TV will certainly be expected to continue the family's trade, following the Uzbek e of family approach as far as job and trade selection.



































I didn't buy any because I already ad bought a pair earlier,which despite being slightly different in design were equally beautiful.






(To be continued)







No comments:

Post a Comment