Thursday 21 March 2013

De Profundis by Oscar Wilde









I have finally managed to finish reading "De Profundis"  ... and I say finally because it was quite a hard "journey" as it opened a recent emotional wound.


People who have been in unrequited relationships or any other relationships which have not been fully resolved may end up feeling imprisoned like Wilde, irrespective of the dissimilarity of circumstances.


Emotional imprisonment can lead to a feeling of permanent suffering which sounds and feels as unstoppable and obscure as any other life "disruptive" situation until one manages to "break free" and "heal" the wound.


Wilde's words

"(...) while there were times when I rejoiced in the idea that my sufferings were to be endless, I could not bear them to be without meaning. Now I find hidden somewhere away in my nature something that tells me that nothing in the whole world is meaningless, and suffering least of all."

resound in me and I do now believe it to be so.



Definately worth reading, though I must confess that after the first few pages I may have thought it was not necessarily the "right" moment to read it. How wrong could I be!..











No comments:

Post a Comment