Saturday 16 February 2013

Calheta de São Miguel, Cape Verde - The handing out of the presents (still) - Day 1 (afternoon) - The 9th of February 2013



(...)

We continued walking up hill to visit some more children, and just as we were getting ready to walk up Ismael came along having heard I was there ... and so did Marline and Nélida.
















Ismael holding the presents sent to him by Maria João (left). Marline with the photos from the previous birthday party, once she had already received the Christmas presents sent by Charlotte during my last trip, which I left at Nate's.





Nélida and I (left) holding the new dress I bought for her on behalf of her "godmother" Catarina. 






We stopped by Katiza and Veronica's to hand out the presents I bought for them, the one of Veronica on behalf of her "godmother" Dora.





Katiza (left) and Veronica (right) holding the bags with the Christmas presents.



We went straight up to Nate's, as we found out neither little Aniza nor her grandmother were at home, so we handed those presents to Marline, who happens to be Aniza's cousin.



 
 At Nate's patio.



 

 Lou with the bag of presents sent by Celeste (left) and wearing one of the dresses she sent her (right).


 


Ângela holding the paint materials and plaster sculptures to be painted I have bought for her and her sister, once they have been selling some of them (left). Ângela wearing one of the blouse Celeste sent for the siblings (right).




On the way downhill we were confronted with a rather aggressive grandfather holding a tree branch with thorns, with which he intended to punish a little girl who had followed us without telling him where she was heading. The situation was soon resolved as I stepped in front of the child and apologetically asked his pardon on her behalf ... a situation which impressed us all, though we realised he was fairly drunk.





On our way down we saw Elias for whom I had left some presents sent by his "godmother" Gabriela at Nate's, though we were told by his mother he would be coming to the Pension the following day in the afternoon.




Elias dressed in blue  and holding a football.




Upon having reached the Pension we realised there were a few boys waiting for me and naturally the presents, which were mostly games I had bought for them.





Veinilson holding the games I bought for him on behalf of João, to which I added a book on the human body offered by Silvia's children (left) and Patrick with some games I bought for him (right).





Wilson with the games I bought for him (left) and Gerson with the presents sent to him by Conceição (right).







(To be continued)












No comments:

Post a Comment