Thursday 27 December 2012

The Rajasthan circuit - Day 6 - The Mehrangarh Fort (still) - The 20th of November 2012



(...)

We then continued towards the Painting Galery, where we had a unique opportunity to look at some fine examples of Marwar miniature paintings.



























The sequence of Halls and Palaces had a mesmerising effect on me. To describe what my eyes saw proved to be impossible and in all honesty of the several we visited I can't say which one I liked the most.


















Seesha Mahal (the Hall of Mirrors) with superb religious paintings superimposed over the mirror-work.















Phool Mahal (The Palace of Flowers) built between 1730 and 1750 - an opulent chamber with a gold filigree ceiling used as a Hall for private audience and royal celebrations.































Takhat Mahal (Maharaja Takhat Sing's Chamber) exuberantly painted with a traditional wooden ceiling blended with a more modern one displaying glass balls.







Moti Mahal (The Pearl Palace)  taking its name from the quantity of lime plaster used mixed with finely crushed shells giving the surfaces of the room a pearl-like lustre. 














Just prior to wandering about the streets of Jodhpur I still had time to briefly visit a temporary painting exhibition inside one of the outer courtyard rooms, as well as the Fort boutique (though I didn't buy anything) whilst we were waiting for the some of the members of our group to come out.

The fact that some local ladies asked me to have a photo taken with them, similarly to what had happened a few times before, came as no surprise. I don''t exactly know what it is that they see in us as foreigners, but I was not at all uncomfortable with the situation, particularly as one of the older ladies held my hand tight in a visible gesture of warmth.





(To be continued)









No comments:

Post a Comment