Saturday 10 November 2012

Lisbon's Orient Museum (still) - the 28th of October 2012



(...)

 I couldn't help photographing a few more outstandingly beautiful artefacts from Japan and China, though I felt I could have photographed many more.

















Japanese armours dating back to the Edo period (17th century) said to have been inspired by the European presence, particularly the Portuguese.















Shikoku puppets representing one of the Gods of Fertility and one of the seven Deities of happiness to make the Gods come at the moment of the New Year.



































Gilt covered and polychrome Japanese Satsuma  pottery from the Meiji period (dating back to the late 18th century).







































The last part of the visit included a temporary exhibition on tea, where I took two tea-related photographs, one being a 1662  portrait painting of Dona Catarina de Bragança, believed to have played a major role in the introduction of tea in England and the second a black and white photograph of the Portuguese Queen Dona Maria Pia dating back to the late 18thcentury.





















It certainly was one of the most interesting afternoons I have recently spent inside a Museum and I can now say that I know will go back some time soon, once I felt it was really worth it.










No comments:

Post a Comment