Sunday 11 March 2012

Books I have recently read


I have recently read two books in English, one being the English version of "Ein Glückskind" by Thomas Buergenthal and the other "Like shaking hands with God" - a conversation about writing with Kurt Vonnegut and Lee Stringer.

I knew nothing about any of the authors, I must confess, the choice having been based on written comments and praises made about them.

I will not be able to give a better account on either of them, even if I try, so I'll just transcribe what led me to read them.






 "A Lucky child  is  an extraordinary story, simply and beautifully told. Heartbreaking and thrilling, it examines what it means to be human, in every good and awul sense. Perhaps most amazing of all, Thomas Buergenthal remembers and renders the small mysteries and grand passions of childhhod, even a childhood lived under the most horrific circumstances" 

Elizabeth McCracken on "A lucky chikd - a memoir of surviving Auschwitz as a young boy".





"A rare thing ... a book that is more about being than writing".

  The Harford Advocate on "Like shaking hands with God".










No comments:

Post a Comment