Thursday 17 November 2011

Cape Verde, Praia (the afternoon of the third day) - The 31st of October 2011



(...)

I walked down to the French Cultural Centre to find out that the end of the exhibition had been anticipated by one day because of some workshop especially organized for children, so I ended up missing it.

Because of being close to Prainha I once more headed in that direction and  just sat there watching the few foreign sunbathers and talking to a street vendor (Maria das Bananas), who later walked with me along the shore, going in the direction of Quebra Canela Beach. Both of these beaches were among my favourites in 2001 and realising that none of them looked the way they used to, made me feel (somehow) sad.












Prainha Beach
















Dona Maria das Bananas (Left) and Hotel Praia Mar (left).




Quebra Canela Beach




 I walked up to Achada de Santo Antonio again to soon find myself in a square I had never seen before, where the statue of Pope Paul II stood. From behind it one could clearly see what Palmarejo has become in the last few years - a huge new residential area.







I walked back to Plateau along the shore and once more marvelled at Gamboa beach, from a different perspective.









Having reached Shell Petrol Station I veered left having further walked towards the Government Palace, so as to photograph it and the Stadium, before heading back to Plateau.











Because I had been wanting to go back to the deserted beaches and coves of São Francisco since I had camped there in 2001 and have never had the chance to go back, felt that would be the best  time, as there were still a few hours left before the sundown.


I had to drive there by taxi once there is no other transportation means available. I didn't recognise anything on the way and was extremelly surprised at the time it took us to reach it, compared to the idea I had. Ten years ago I had partially walked there and it didn't seem that far.













Just as we were leaving the taxi driver saw one of his brothers, so we ended up staying a while talking for a while before we returned to Praia. 
eauty




Memories are sometimes what we make them ... and although it was worth having driven all that way,  the old beauty was no longer there ... 

















No comments:

Post a Comment