Saturday 15 October 2011

Latest news regarding Calheta ...


I shall soon be flying to Cape Verde where I expect to hand out all the Christmas presents to 56 girls and 14 boys on the 29th of October, as well as carry out a two day workshop for 12 girls who have never attended any (Eveline, Jussara, Eveline Natalina, Carla Veronica, Ineida, Ineida Patricia, Liliane Rosy, Sonia, Ana Galina, Lucia, Ivete and Célia) and some of the ones who have shown to be artistic inclined (Leinira, Marline, Lou, Josseane, Lavinia, Tarine, Elcy, Veronica and Diva).

Having realised that some "godparents" have not fully corresponded to what they were expected to, has led me to take some decisions regarding the welfare of the children they were "taking care of" and  with due respect for their initial involvement and enthusiasm found "new godparents" for these "affected" children, hoping situations like these may not happen again in the future.

A few more ladies have joined the group of "godmothers", Margarida, Sonia,  Bell and Vanessa being amongst these, whilst a few more are still waiting for me to be able to assess the situation locally in regards to potential children in need, so that they may then get effectively involved.





Bell, who will be "looking after" Eveline Natalina




One of the "godmothers" in France (Noëlle) has sent me a postal parcel with the things for her "protegée" (Erica), as well as quite a few colouring pencils, felt tip pens, pens and pencils  for the children of Calheta, which I will unfortunately only be carrying with me next February, once I don't have any space left in my baggage. 




Three of my former Air Trafic Controller students (Filipa, Nuno  and Miguel), together with Miguel's girlfriend decided to write letters for some of the children, knowing how important it is for them to feel and SEE that people somewhere think and worry about them.

I have put them together with all the letters from the "godparents" I have collected so far and for all this might sound less important than the other contributions it is the reassurance they need to further continue progressing as suggested, as well a  meaningful push for their self-esteem. 




 
(Filipa and Nuno)





(Miguel and his girlfriend Marta) 



  


(Many of the letters collected)




I can't deny I am looking forward to this trip which will ultimately bring a lot of joy and happiness to these children (I am sure).

 I would once more like to thank all of the marvellous people who have contributed towards this project in various ways.













1 comment:

  1. Sinto-me feliz por fazer parte deste teu projecto e ter como afilhada a Eveline Natalina.
    É importante que todos nós façamos (mesmo á distância) algo por estas crianças através do nosso contributo e..., não nos podemos esquecer, que eles serão os futuros Homens e Mulheres de amanhã.
    Um grande Bem-Haja minha amiga!

    BELL GARCÍA

    ReplyDelete