Saturday 3 September 2011

Godmothers' meeting ...



Some of the recent "godmothers" have today gathered at Telma's to further learn about the project  in Calheta de São Miguel, as well as be aware of some of the responsibilities of becoming a "godmother" and the constraints therewith associated taking into account the local reality.



Teresa Diniz, Eva Câmara, Conceição Capela, Henriqueta Sousa, Telma Mendes and Celeste Catarino (from left to right)



We got so carried away that the organized lunch ended by late evening. I was given many of the birthday and Cristmas presents I'll be carrying with me next October (Eunice de Jesus, Liliane Rosy  and Lou) as well as the money to ensure the school fees for the children they will be responsible for. I was also given an extra present for Ivanilde Elena to add to the previous ones I had already been given.


















Presents for Eunice de Jesus (left) bought by Henriqueta and the ones for Liliane Rosy (right) bought by Teresa.




Presents for Lou bought by Celeste (the earings she did herself).



I have also been given a laptop (donated by the bank Telma works at) for Elizabeth, who is attending Law at the University of Assomada.  I knew she had  been in desperate need of having one so as to further proceed her studies, in which she is doing really well and thanks to Telma's comittment in solving this problem even without knowing the girl, she will be given it next October. I know it will be an utter surprise as she doesn't know anything about it yet.




















It does make a difference when one is dealing with committed "godmothers" who really care ... and try their best to help these children. They deserve these "godmothers" and I am sure they will not be disappointed, because from what I know and have seen these children recognise what is being done on their behalf and  express their thankfulness in ways that very often touch our hearts.




I must express my gratitude to Celeste for having put me in contact with Telma, who in turn referred me to these wonderful women I had an unforgetable afternoon with. The children will be the ultimate beneficiaries ... (but so will we ...).










1 comment:

  1. Iolanda,

    Considero ter sido abençoada por a ter conhecido.
    Pessoas como você fazem-me ter esperança na Humanidade.

    Continue nessa missão tão bonita que você abraçou.
    No que poder ajudar, conte sempre com a minha ajuda.
    Que o vento sopre a seu favor.
    Um grande abraço.
    Telma

    ReplyDelete