Friday 27 August 2010

2001 Circuit around the Cape Verde islands - Third stop - São Vicente island




View over Mindelo bay


In São Vicente I was welcomed by the parents of a musician I had long met in Portugal and it's at their home in the suburbs of the capital town that I stayed at, during my visit to the island. I must confess that although I was given the privilege of becoming acquainted with quite a few interesting people through them, whom I would not have met otherwise, the permanent sequence of convivial events didn't allow me to randomly meet local people in the streets or even visit some of the things I would have liked to visit.

São Vicente, known as "a small pearl" of West Africa and the island of poets and musicians, "exhibits" much of its old charm, with fine colonial architecture, historical buidings, a replica of the Tower of Belém, cobbled streets, etc., and "excels" in cultural events and activities, amongst which is the hosting of the yearly three day Baía das Gatas Music Festival (created by a group of musicians, inspired by Woodstock, according to what is said), the International Meeting of Amateur Theatre groups (Mindelact) and the well known Carnival parade every year, just to mention a few.

Famous Painters who have their own "ateliers" open to the public are among some of the "interesting" personalities worth mentioning (Manuel Figueira and Tchalé Figueira).

The island boasts beautiful beaches scattered around, whose waters I bathed in, from São Pedro to Laginha beach, in the heart of the city, not to mention the one of Baía das Gatas.


Laginha beach

I strongly feel I should go back sometime, to wander about on my own, without "restrictions" of any sort and "taste" the night life atmosphere ... let the "enchanting" musical achords "caress" me till dawn.





No comments:

Post a Comment