Wednesday 21 July 2010

The ship-building yard under the tree ...




Cape Verdians never cease to surprise  and impress me ...
On the way to Veneza, a small village in the community of São Miguel, there is a small beach on the right hand side, where a small ship-building yard has been set under a tree.

Three ship wrights work there, in an almost handicrafted type of way, planing off the wooden boards of the two unfinished  fishing boats they were working on (when I met them) ...


 
I don't exactly know how long this ship-building yard has been here for (they wouldn't tell me) or how long it will keep on being here for  (they wouldn't tell me either) ...
They may not know ... (I believe) ... but what I know is that very rarely do Cape Verdians find excuses for not doing whatever they may be capable of doing  ... because of not having the adequate means to do it ...

No comments:

Post a Comment