Tuesday 6 July 2010

"Rabelados" Art Galery façade ...



A lot has been written about "Rabelados" and their principle of "independence", which dates back to the 1940s when they first opposed the introduction of a new Catholicism teaching system  in Cape Verde and which ultimately led to them being "banished", persecuted, emprisoned and even tortured.

 
A few years ago, the project developed by the Cape Verdian painter Misá in the Rabelados community of  Espinho Branco brought "colour" into the community and made their culture and traditions known to the "outside world" ...

I don't know if the Art galery I photographed in Cidade Velha and which was closed is actually a Rabelados galery, as in accordance with what is written on its façade ... but I quite like its paintings ... 

Why? I don't exactly know ... (I always seem to repeat myself when it comes to Cape Verdian art ) but there's something about ...  the simplicity of the lines ... and the naivety of  the expressions ... that I really like.


















No comments:

Post a Comment