Thursday 20 May 2010

Consciousness awareness ...


"El trabajo voluntario es una escuela creadora de consciencias" Che Guevara

As I was travelling through Cuba, I came across this meaningful statement  by Che Guevara in Santa Clara.
I feel that consciousness awareness does not necessary lead  us to doing anything, unless we are willing to actually get down to doing something about it.

Having been to Africa several times doing voluntary work has further reinforced the idea I had that many children simply can't go to school because of not having the money to pay for the school fees, or when they do, because their parents or relatives do make an effort not to breach the rules set up by the Government (this being the case in Cape Verde), it does affect the precarious budget of their families most of the time.





I would be lying to myself if I ignored this fact ... , this being the reason why I will be soon supporting one of the children who are in need - Leinira, who has got a few brothers and sisters and whose parents have been making a tremendous effort to keep them  all at school, naturally hoping to ensure a better life for them. There are three more girls within the community who also need to be helped ... and I just hope I can find someone who will voluntarily want to help them ... 












From top to bottom - Leinira, Neuza, Simone and Tarine.

Note: The school fees are 10/20 Euros a year (primary/secondary respectively) including the school insurance and a light meal a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment